Thursday, April 26, 2007

The simple things

Being a mommy I have come to really relish the simply things in day to day life. Today at Olive Garden Baby Bear hit a milestone. No not one that is on the checklist or in a baby book, just one that was important to us. Ready? Drum roll please........ She Drank From A Straw!!!!!! We have been working on this a week or so, because she will not drink from a sippy cup -- not sure why, but she will push out the sippy with her tongue while making a gag noise! I think she sees us drinking from a straw and wants to be a big girl. So today I offered her the straw out of her kiddie cup and I feel the cold coming up the straw with my finger and my heart skips a beat and I look at her and those blue eyes light up and she swallows and dribbles a bit of water--- I exclaim -- yeah! yeah! and she smiles in delight from the praise-- and we have this wonderful moment! I am sure others thought we were crazy or maybe they looked at us and knew exactly why we were both grinning from ear to ear!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love the look on a child's face when they realize they've done something new. Your daughter is adorable, by the way.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing momma bear!!! I bet that was so funny!!! Glad to hear that! LOL>...

Going Back to Square One said...

We're struggling with the sippy cup, too, but I found one made by Nuby that has a silicone top/spout. E-baby is finally getting the hang of it! She always looks so surprised when she gets the water. Then she usually grins and dribbles all the water out onto her chin.

Oh well. They don't call them baby-steps for no reason.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Good for baby bear, straws are better for oral motor development anyway. ;-)