Tuesday, June 22, 2010

different world

One thing I find interesting being an adoptive mom is that my almost four year old, truely has no concept of pregancy or baby coming from mommies belly. We had decided not to tell her for a little bit, but ofcourse she is hearing the talk and truely she just dont get it, when she got a brother, we got in a car, drove to a office and picked him up. So this whole baby in my tummy thing is gonna be very different for us as parents and for my kids. Anyone with experience or advice please feel free to share! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no advice, Im not much help in this department. However, I want you to know that I think you have an amazing family and I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!!

ICLW #83

Dawn said...

First, CONGRATULATIONS! Now, to the advice part. In many ways, I think it's a good idea to wait tell all aged kids, and especially a 4 year old, that you're pregnant. You are only 5 weeks and 8 months is a lifetime to a 4 year old. However, what you can do now is start to talk about how families are made. As a mom to both birth and adopted kids, I personally think all families should use books that talk about all the different ways families can form: birth, adoption, stepparents, etc. We list some wonderful books of this type on our Suggested Books under Adoption on our site. www.CreatingaFamily.org. For now, just start incorporating some of these books into your reading. Then slowly start pointing our pregnant women and talking about how she is going to have a baby soon. As you get closer to your due date or when you are obviously pregnant and people are commenting in public (6-7 months pregnant) tell her she's going to be a big sister and start reading the Big Sister/Brother books.

For the two year old, I used popsicle stick puppets with pictures of the family to play games about being a big brother or sister. Also, you can create a stuffed animal family and talk about how Baby Hippo is going to be a big brother. It's harder at age two because they really don't get it. Tell both kids at the same time, but don't expect the 2 year old to have any real understanding.

Again, congratulation. By the way, we've done a radio show and video on combining children by birth and adoption that you might find interesting. Radio show is on the 2009 Big List on the radio page of our site and video is on the adoption video page of our site.

Dawn Davenport
Creating a Family ~ A nonprofit providing education and support for infertility and adoption
www.CreatingaFamily.org

DrSpouse said...

I have no advice but that's quite funny "babies come from offices! What do you mean there's a baby in your tummy??!

BU said...

I have no experience in that area but I just wanted to say that that is quite an awesome problem to have! Congrats!!

daega99 said...

Sorry, I have no advice either but I hope that the experience is posiive for all of you!

ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

Nicole said...

OH MY! Congrats! What amazing news!

Happy ICLW!

Hannah said...

Aw, congrats on your pregnancy! What a fun experience for your whole family. Hugs!
Happy ICLW

Liddy said...

Sorry, I have no advice. I wish you the very best and congrats.

An ICLW Visit from #107 (mfi, speedskating, strength)
liddy @ the unfair struggle

Liddy said...

Sorry, I have no advice. I wish you the very best and congrats.

An ICLW Visit from #107 (mfi, speedskating, strength)
liddy @ the unfair struggle

Kakunaa said...

Congrats! My BFF is adopted, and for years she totally thought babies came from houses...cuz that's where her brother came from. She is fine now :). But a belly confused her at about the same age as your daughter...I bet you could find a book about it! Like a children's book. It is amzing what's out there...good luck! Happy ICLW.