Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Too Young?

So I am trying to raise my children to have a social conscience, to understand we are fortunate and others may not be and part of having things is sharing with others. So I wanted to have people that are invited to her birthday party to make a donation to the local animal shelter and for her to take the donations and see what it was going for, this instead of getting 15 more toys she does not need. But.... she will only be 3, so does she even understand the concept or will she take it as being forced on her- my husband says let her get presents have her party and we can do this on the side- I dont know what to do- I should- but I dont. So any input would be fantastic

12 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Hmmm, that's a tough one with her being only three. If you think she will understand then do it. I think it's a wonderful idea!

Michelle said...

That is an amazing idea and I think it's NEVER too early to teach your children what it means to be a good person. I agree with your hubby though, maybe a few gifts, she is 3 afterall.

It's so nice to know there are parents out there raising children to be good people! Congrats!
~Michelle (ICLW)

Two Shorten the Road said...

I like the idea of donating to an animal shelter, because she can go see the animals that she'll be helping. :)

ICLW

Melba said...

Personally I think she's a little too young. I think you're right to begin teaching about it, but I don't think the birthday party will help make her more compassionate, I think it could make her resent giving to others, just being honest. Young children take everything at face value, so I just think this is a little too much for her age. That being said, you know her better than anyone so if you think she can handle it and would benefit from the experience then by all means, give it a try!

I think you can best teach her in this area through leading by example. Maybe begin by using your next birthday as an opportunity to ask for donations to something you car about, then s how her what you are doing with the donations, and talk to her about why it matters to you.

Just my two + cents on the matter!

Melba

Ruth said...

I think probably for a 3 year old giving money to a charity is probably a difficult concept. I'd say either go with the suggestion someone posted on FB to have her give some of her toys to Goodwill or Salvation Army OR maybe ask people to give her gifts that are on the animal shelter's wish list. I think it will be more meaningful for her if she takes actual items rather than money to the charity. My guess is it might make more sense to her. Just my two cents! I think it's great you want to instill these values in your kiddos.

..al said...

Whoa! How fantastically thoughtful of you.

One of my mother's friends hosts a party in a school for special kids on her son's birthday...every single year!

Well, your daughter is going to be three, and I know that all kids are excited about getting gifts and all, so asking her to not accept any and give it all away would not really be totally fair.

You could do several things though -

a) Adopt an animal.
b) Ask people to bring in more cash rather than toys. And then give away the cash.
c) Let close family get her toys, and let other guests to bring cash or send money to that shelter.
d) Find out if your daughter can help doing something at the shelter...that is on her birthday, maybe she can help feed the animals, or clean up..whatever little she is capable of doing / handling and if the shelter allows her to do so!

OK, I am not sure how overboard I went with my suggestions, but I hope there was something in them.

ICLW

birthmothertalks said...

I really don't know what to say. It's a wonderful idea, but does your daughter understand kids get gifts at parties? I think she can understand helping the animals, but not so sure I would do this at such a young age for a party.

Mama Bear said...

Thanks everyone so much!!!!its been great reading your ideas!!!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Here from ICLW...

I say that it's a great idea. Some people will bring gifts and the donation anyway, and she'll have presents from you, right? People coming over to sing to her and eat cake is all the attention she needs.

Alana said...

What a great idea! My daughter is 4, and you're right---the overflow of toys can get to be a bit much!

*ICLW*

Unknown said...

We've tried this with Ken, asking for donations instead of gifts. For the grandparents' part- the request gets ignored. But Ken (at 3.5) does seem to get social consciousness. He'll ask about animals/people that seem hurt, and he likes giving things to those who need. It's never too young to start.

Melissa G said...

Wow. I really think that is an amazing idea. I love that you want to demonstrate the impact of giving to your child at such a young age. Will she get it? Probably not. But she will when she is seven and you tell her about it... I do see your husbands side too I guess. Either way I'm sure she will have a wonderful day.

Thank you for sharing this.

Oh another thought - which is something we hope to introduce to our children, when we have them. When they get one gift they have to donate one of theirs in return. It helps cut back on excess and teaches them about sharing...Just a thought.

iclw